Friday, May 6, 2011

Motherhood is...

What are the first words that come to mind when you think of motherhood?

When I first thought about about this the first three that came to mind were sacrifice, patience, and joy. 

Sacrifice sometimes has a negative connotation to it and sometimes it leads to bitterness but when I think about what I have sacrificed to be a mother, I think about the joy it has brought me.  Sacrifice isn't even something many moms think about, it is just something we do.  Not that we don't all grumble sometimes but that is part of motherhood to.  It isn't all rainbows and flowers and thank yous.  We give up the nights of peaceful sleep, money that once would have bought the new heels or purse that we just had to have now are used to buy a toy or new clothes for our children, and sometimes we even put our dreams on hold.  We do it for our children because our priorities have changed. 

Motherhood is about patience.  We have to be patient from the time we find out we are pregnant until our children are born to meet the beings we have helped create.  Our son is due next month and just like with every other pregnancy I can't wait to finally meet our newest addition, to hold him in my arms and to see him with his family.  We have to be patient as our children find their independence and stumble and fall and we have to be strong and patient with ourselves when it is time to slowly let them go and find their own wings to take them where they want to go.

And the joy it brings us to do these things...
I can't imagine not being a mom.  Sometimes I think about my life before I had children and it feels like I was a different person. And I was. I don't feel that I have lost out on anything though.  The laughter, snuggles, and everyday stolen moments that remind us of how precious it is to be a mom make it all worth it. And lets not forget the wilted dandelions and macaroni necklaces that we get.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Nothing makes me feel more like a mom than wilted dandelions and maraconi necklaces!

parenting ad absurdum said...

You too, Mama! Yes, it's the hardest, and the best thing I've ever done. Macaroni necklaces for all...!

Post a Comment