Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wordless/Wordful Wednesday: A Fishy Story

If you remember my post from the other week, you may remember that my husband is an avid fisherman. As in, he takes it very seriously.  Trips to Cabela's are like a pilgrimage.

He takes it so seriously in fact that he is part of a fishing club and participates in bass fishing tournaments about twice a month.  Put him on a boat in the middle of the ocean and he is happy as a clam.  Occasionally, he will go on 18 or 24 hour deep sea fishing trips. 

Me?  I prefer my feet on solid ground.  I turn green and need to lie down the entire trip when the boat stops in the middle of the ocean. Standing will only propel me to the side of the boat to feed the fishies. Gross, I know.  It is the rocking of the boat when the engines are off that does it every time.  I am fine as long as the boat is moving but the second they stop the engines, I am a goner.

I have many happy and unhappy memories that involve my husband's favorite pastime.

My first time meeting my future mother-in-law included my first deep sea fishing expedition in the Florida Keys. I didn't know I would get sea sick. Not the impression I wanted to leave.  Needless to say, his family had a blast fishing and catching up while I laid down inside the whole trip to sick to talk.  That was my first but unfortunately not my last trip deep sea fishing.  Getting off of the boat I had to endure listening to the captain's (not so funny) jokes about hugging palm trees and land lovers.

When we first started dating, we would meet up with friends and my sister-in-law and her husband to go cat fishing later at night.  I liked that my feet never left land since we fished from the shore of the river.  I am a girl but was game for tying a piece of chicken liver in a piece of cheesecloth.  As far as touching a worm.  EEEWWWW.  Not a chance. 

On our honeymoon in Cancun, we signed up for all kinds of excursions.  A Mayan adventure trip, a trip to Chichen Itza, Xel-Ha (a huge natural aquarium/natural waterpark), snorkeling and shopping in Cozumel, and of course deep sea fishing.

 

This is the picture I took of my husband catching a marlin.  Was my subsconscious trying to payback my husband for making me go deep sea fishing?  I took this picture with a disposable camera from our wedding.  When we got our pictures developed my husband was devastated.  He had caught a once in a lifetime fish and all he had to show for it was him and the fin of the fish.  Ooops.  

The next day we went to Best Buy to buy a digital camera.

Today if I have any free time, I can tell you what you will NOT find me doing and that is fishing.  I would take a good book along to sit in the boat, in the sun, and relax. That is if my husband invited me along.











I am about as close to fish as I want to be right now staring at them swimming in the fish tank.

For more Wordless/Wordful Wednesday, visit 5 Minutes For Mom, Seven Clown Circus, and here.

7 comments:

Tomi C said...

Check out my Wordless Wednesday post http://threeboysandanoldlady.blogspot.com/2010/05/wordless-wednesday.html

Love your Wordful/Wordless Wednesday post!

The Drama Mama said...

I found out that I am a land lubber too when I was pregnant with Jellybean. The boat was stopped near an island as a storm rolled in, and man. Did I hate life all the sudden!

As for your picture, despite the lack of fish, it's a gorgeous shot.

Lourie said...

You and me both. I have been on Coast Guard cutters, which my husband claims move more than a cruise liner because of their design. I do not care. If it is on the water, I am not going to do well. Pass. Plus I am not a good swimmer. So I will do my cruising in a car thank you very much. Want to come? ;)

Melinda said...

even though all I can see is the fin I can totally appreciate the beauty of the catch LOL
happy WW

Judy Whatilivefor said...

Way to go, exacting your revenge! Just kidding! You're so sweet to agree to spend any part of your honeymoon on a boat when you got so sick!

Daisygirl said...

The water in the picture is amazing!!! But like you I don't want anything to do with the stuff in it!

Happy Wednesday!

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

You poor thing!! Meeting your mother-in-law is stressful enough, but being seasick at the same time is a crime. I think it's great that your hubby has a hobby he enjoys. Too bad though it's not a less vomit inducing one for you!!

Post a Comment