Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How to Properly Eat Cake

My one year old seems to have the proper cake eating etiquette down.

Dip (her finger in the icing) and nibble. Then dive and chomp.  And finally pick up, smoosh, and shove in mouth.

I know most of us adults would rather skip ahead to the shoving it into our mouth stage.

Our guests (family and close friends) watched with rapt attention not wanting to miss "the moment." 

You know the one...the moment depicted in old photo albums that was shot by your mom or dad or whoever was manning the camera.  It is of you devouring (or licking, gulping, smooshing, or divebombing) your first piece of cake. And for many of you, your first taste of cake.
 
Madison's sister, Emily, had no interest in eating her little birthday cake that I had labored over and baked from scratch.  She dabbled in the frosting and daintly nibbled at it and then picked up the cake, smooshed it in her hands as everyone ooohed on.  Then, she unceremoniously picked it up again, turned it over, and smooshed it into the high chair and all over herself. She maybe had a taste of frosting.  Maybe. A taste that apparently did not meet her rather high standards.

This time we got smart and only gave Madison a cupcake. 










Then, there is the shot of the aftermath.  The one that shows your little ones covered in sugary goodness from their head and probably down to their toes.

 This was Emily at her 1st birthday party.

 
 This was Madison at her first birthday party after the cake eating portion.  As you can see, she was a little more ladylike.

Do you have any good first birthday stories or one of a kind pics you captured?

For more Wordless Wednesday, visit here, and 5 Minutes for Mom and more wordful Wednesday can be found at Seven Clown Circus.

By the way, see my latest giveaway below.  I posted late yesterday (right before midnight).  Nothing like burning the midnight oil.  I joined Twittermoms and Glue Dots to do some summertime projects with (and for) my daughters.

9 comments:

Katie Olthoff said...

oh how cute! Adam wouldn't eat his cake, either, although it could be because it was sugar free applesauce cake. :)

Mindy said...

Love it! My MIL stuffed my daughter full of grapes before her first cake, so she wasn't that into it. It was shortcake with whipped cream and blueberries...she'd never really had sweets so we wanted to ease her into it and our friends' 1 yr old threw up in her crib post-cake 6 months earlier. lol

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Oh my, that is the cutest. I think the highlight of the 1st birthday is the cake!

Heligirl said...

What a cutie! Love the captions. I tell you what, Sweetness dove into her chocolate cake with wreckless abandon. Everything was chocolate and icing. She loved it. Mommy and Daddy were new to this gig and didn't think the thing through. Once everyone left, including Daddy as his parents were in town and wanted to go out to celebrate one of their other grandchildren's birthdays (I stayed home with my tired girl), Sweetness let me have it. She puked up the cake on the couch, living room rug, kitchen and bathroom (I was running for the tile floors and I thought she was done in the kitchen and as I carried her to the bathroom for a bath she did it again.) I washed her up, apologized profusely for making her sick on her first birthday and got her all prettied up. When I went out to clean up the puke, nothing remained. The Chihuahua's ate it. Chocolate. I freaked out and called the vet. The vet tech told me it was probably ok, but to force about 5 ccs of hydrogen peroxide down each dog and they'll puke. So I did, and they did, and I had twice regurgitated chocolate cake to clean up. And I was three weeks pregnant with morning sickness having just arrived a few dys earlier. The smell almost killed me. Needless to say, hubby was called to come home and help, the carpet cleaners had to come two days later (pregnant lady super smell was going to be the end of me), and I only give a few mouthfuls of cake to the kids now. The end. :)

The Drama Mama said...

That is soooo cute!! I have some great pics of Scooby eating his first birthday cake too. It had blue icing which just made it all more fun!

Liz Mays said...

There was a huge difference in the messes between the two!

parenting ad absurdum said...

ADORable! Makes me a little teary for our past first birthdays...

Joy@TPMG said...

After I wrote this and posted I realized that it wasn't because Madison was more ladylike or neater or even that she ate a lot more (or maybe a little) but she also didn't have an entire cake to play in. That was a rookie mistake on our part.

After reading how some of you know people (or know from personal experience) whose little ones vomited after eating their cake, I am now glad I didn't. My husband went and bought Emily her own personal chocolate cake last year for her birthday when he realized I had just made cupcakes. Luckily she was old enough to hold her own at that point and still mostly just played with it. Just the thought of cleaning up vomit after a party makes me shudder.

Lourie said...

My eldest ate the frosting. And now, she leaves it. Go figure. My little middle was fascinated with the candle. And my boy was mad because I put him BACK in the high chair. And he doesn't want cake if it has frosting. I think my real children were abducted by aliens.

Post a Comment