Thursday, November 25, 2010

What I Have to Be Thankful For

It's Turkey Day! It's finally here. This is one of my favorite days of the year from a gastronomical standpoint. 


Growing up my family occasionally got together for Thanksgiving but after my dad died we were more likely to go out to eat at a restaurant than actually eat a home cooked meal.  That was okay because in typical teenage thinking that meant I didn't have to help clean up after dinner.

Thanksgiving for my husband's family is a huge holiday feast.  When we get together it may be a few days before or after Thanksgiving but there is always copious amounts of delicious food.  This year it is only my husband's mom who will be here along with a family friend and my family. We will have another "Thanksgiving worthy" holiday feast  with Bob's family before Christmas when both of his sisters are in town.

Not one but three turkeys to be cooked this year.  One on the grill, one in the smoker, and one in the turkey fryer.  This is the only time of the year where I surrender my kitchen and become the sous chef of sorts.  By the end of the day, we will be stuffed like the turkeys.

I have crafts for the girls ready to keep them occupied and a holiday video at the ready.

Another reason for this being my favorite time of the year is because we get to celebrate our blessings. I know, I know, we should celebrate our blessings all year long but how often do we ever really verbalize what is in our heart (besides to our significant others and to our children)?

What do I have to be thankful for? 
1. My happy & healthy family.  This is something we to often take for granted.  Last Thanksgiving my grandmother had a series of small strokes and my grandfather had a major heart attack.  We are thankful that they will be with us again this year. 
2. A full pantry.  Many people are not so lucky.
3. Sleeping in even if it is just for fifteen minutes.  Being able to roll over and put the pillow over my head  if I want to is what it is all about.
4. Black Friday.  Maybe it is my competitive nature coming out but I love to drive to the store, maneuver through the crowds to get deals, and then drive home with my loot.  Satisfied is how I feel at breakfast.  That is not to say you will see me at the mall after Black Friday because you probably will not.  That is usually my last or almost last shopping trip.  Usually I am done. If I need anything else I will be at Target at an off-peak hour doing my shopping.
5. Contentment.  Loving life and what I have in my life is a blessing.  Being able to see it and appreciate it is doubly so. When we're younger we often take our lives for granted. 

Happy Thanksgiving!  May we all have much to be thankful for and many blessings to count this holiday season.

3 comments:

Post a Comment