Wednesday, December 2, 2009

First Thoughts

This morning my daughter was trying to use one of her toys to "write" on the tv. I usually give her three warnings (unless it is something really bad or dangerous) and with the last warning I usually say, "last warning". Normally that is enough and she stops doing whatever it is that she shouldn't be doing. There have been times where she knows she has done something wrong (like banging a toy on the wall) and after her third warning she will do it again and then come to us and hand us the toy because she knows she is going to lose it. Other times she has put herself in timeout after just one warning. We then explain to her that she doesn't have to go to timeout if she listens to mommy and daddy.

This morning though was an exception. When I took her toy from her after her third warning, she looked at me and said "Hey! I was playing with that. Give it back." She has never uttered those words before. She's only two. My first thought was not about her attitude (boy does she have one of those on occasion) but "Wow, she used good grammar for a two year old". Can you tell I used to be a teacher? Sometimes that first thought that comes to mind takes you by surprise.

* This post was included in the 4th edition of Mom Link Round Up on Under the Golden Apple Tree on December 4th. If you haven't stopped by, please do so. There are many interesting and informative posts by other bloggers (and even some giveaways).

3 comments:

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

That's hilarious! I almost can't wait until my daughter starts talking (wait...is it a good thing when they start talking?)
Very cute!

Joy@TPMG said...

My oldest daughter is nearing 2 1/2 and I love it that she is talking. She is really starting to communicate well with sentences. It is amazing what a memory they have. She will start talking about something she saw or did a week ago using words we didn't even know she knew.

Mimi N said...

Isn't it funny what stops us in our tracks? That was good grammar!! hahaha Just you wait!! Ah, 2 seems so long ago now. :)

Blessings,
Mimi from Mom Link Round Up

Post a Comment