Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another Year Older (Wiser, Not So Much)

It's official...as of 11:29 last evening I was another year older. 

I always expect to feel different-an internal change of sorts.  Yet, I am always disappointed.  No new wisdom is imparted on one's birthday.  New wisdom seems to seep in on other days when you are not looking for it.

How did I celebrate?  It was really just another day in our household but there were small differences.  A ton of birthday wishes filled my personal Facebook page, I received calls from friends with well wishes, and I didn't cook.  Officially, my birthday dinner is tonight.  I didn't have the foresight to make a dinner reservation.  Ooops. 

Yes, I made my own b-day dinner reservation.  My husband does NOT make reservations of any kind and that inlcudes getting his car serviced.  Did I mention I made a reservation for two adults AND two children?  I never had to ask before if a restaurant was child-friendly. 

My dancing and singing skills have not improved.  Dancing around the kitchen in the morning, my daughter pleaded with me to stop singing.  "No, Mommy, No, Mommy...stop".  "No shimmy-shake, Mommy, no."  I guess there are some things that don't improve with age.

I loved hearing my daughter say, "Happy Birthday, Mommy" for the first time.  It was music to my ears.  She kept saying how she hoped I  had a birthday party.  She loves cake and ice cream.  We stopped for ice cream at a local ice cream shop even though it felt like it was below freezing outside.  I love, love, love their freshly made ice cream.  They have one that is a mix of chocolate and vanilla ice cream with chocolate cookie crumbles mixed in and appropriately named "chocolate birthday cake" but they didn't have any yesterday.  It was okay.  I requested my own version-chocolate and vanilla ice cream scoops with oreo cookie crumbles. 

What did my husband get me for my birthday?  The perfect gift for any blogging mama. A new laptop-one that does not weigh as much as a newborn infant or one that is bulky.  I have a compact laptop now without the bells and whistles of my older one but also without viruses and weird pop-up messages. 

I am one happy, blogging mama this morning.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

A new laptop?!? AWESOME!

Happy birthday! I hope your birthday dinner tis evening is WONDERFUL and DELICIOUS!

Buckeroomama said...

Happy birthday!! That's a pretty cool present from your husband. :)

Lourie said...

Happy Birthday and happy new laptop!!! Woohoo!

Shell said...

What a fabulous present!

Happy birthday!

Liz Mays said...

You received a new laptop???? That is completely wonderful!!!

Happy Birthday!!!

parentingadabsurdum said...

Oh my goodness I am jealous. Have him talk to my husband come November, will you??

Peryl

Ivy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This year will be my first official un-birthday, so I admire my fellow women willing to admit they are getting older. It's already starting to get to me.

Go hubby on the laptop! What kind did you get? Are you a PC or a mac?

Joy@TPMG said...

Thanks, Ladies! My hubby bought a PC. I think he was trying to tell me that he wants his computer back!

hypermom said...

Chocolate ice cream, yum! Plus, a laptop!!! Happy birthday indeed! :)

Unknown said...

What a great present! Happy (belated) birthday!! :)

Post a Comment