Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vegas, Here Comes...My Mother


I love my mother.  She loves me, flaws and all, in her own way.  She was sixty-one years old before she lived alone for the first time in her life.  She has been divorced and widowed.  I am her youngest daughter. 

My mother is not one to go anywhere alone.  She barely can sit in a restaurant alone much less drive to an event hosted by acquaintances by herself. This is a woman who hates change.

She is also not the type to call me unless she has something to say.  In a recent phone call to check on her, she proclaimed, "I am going to tell you something."  Uh, oh.  That is never the best way to start a conversation, at least not one that is going to end well.

"I'm going to Vegas", she announces.

"Uh, okay", I think I replied.  I think I was in to much shock to really comprehend what she was saying. 

I can't picture my mother in Vegas.  I have heard of people my mother's age moving there for the dry desert heat but my mother living it up in a hotel on the Strip...  I can't see it in my mind and rest assured I have a very vivid imagination.

When I think of Vegas, I think of The Hangover which I will admit was a pretty funny movie.  I think of drive-thru wedding chapels, spectacular shows, noisy slot machines, craps tables, poker, and bachelors/bachelorettes having a weekend of fun.

My mother is going to take her first plane ride. Is she going alone?  Of course not!  At first she told me she was going to go with my sister.  I couldn't see that happening.  Two days later in another phone conversation my mother told me what I had suspected, my sister had reneged on her promise to go with my mom but my mom had found a replacement.   I love my sister but reliability is not one of strongest traits.  When I asked who she responded with, "have you or B (my husband) received any phone calls recently."

I hate 20 questions.  I hate suspense.  I hate surprises, in fact things rarely surprise me.  Yet, I was surprised.  My mother finally admitted that she had called my mother-in-law (who she sees two-three times a year).  They are going to Vegas together. As soon as I got off the phone I called my husband.  I blurted out my mother's news.

His response, "Good for her.  I'm proud of her.  She called my mom all on her own without calling one of us first.  I never would have thought she would be able to do it."  He was right.  I was proud of her to. She was doing something for herself, on her own-something she had initiated, no less. 

Good for them I say.  Maybe my mom is growing and proving that you are never to old to change.  I bet they come back with some good stories.

15 comments:

Tina L. Hook said...

Hysterical. I would love if my mom and mums in law went to Vegas together. Please post photos.

Stopping by from SITS today.

Mayra said...

Thanks for stopping by yesterday and for your kind words. =)

When I think of Vegas, I think of the Hangover too..hahhaa..

This is so great, especiallly if your mom is like you said, the type of person that is afraid of change. It's even cooler that she's going with your mother in law. Can't wait to hear stories from when they get back. =)

Mayra said...

Now following you. =D

Unknown said...

Good for her! It is hard to change in her age but at least she is trying to have fun. I hope they come back with lots of fun stories to tell or maybe not after all “what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas”
Anat

Daisygirl said...

The Hangover was hilarious! Could you imagine the Grandma edition?
I think this is just so awesome, good for your Mom I bet they have a blast!

Joy@TPMG said...

I think they will have a lot of fun. My only concern would be if either of them comes back married! LOL! I love the idea of a grandma edition of The Hangover. I am now envisioning all kinds of scenarios.

Anonymous said...

You know, that is just great! I am so happy for your mom and I hope she has a blast.

I watch my parents get older and they go out, but have less adventures.

Lourie said...

That is awesome! My mom is finally doing things and going places. Maybe one day she will go to Vegas too. haha.

Liz Mays said...

I think the fact that your mom and your MIL get along well enough to go to Vegas together is cause enough to celebrate!!!

Anonymous said...

20 questions? I hate when we play that, too. I was so certain your mother was about to recruit you...nice that she's going with MIL. Hope they have fun.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Wow. I would be totally floored if my mom was going to Vegas, let alone with my mother in law. That's some news!

parenting ad absurdum said...

I think that's awesome!! I hope one day to go to Vegas with my kids' wife's mom... a looooong time from now ;)

Peryl

Lisa Anne said...

Your Mom ROCKS!! I think that's great that she wants to go to Vegas. She deserves the trip!!

Betsy (zen-mama.com) said...

What a great story! Isn't it amazing how all of keep growing up until the very end!

Happy FF! Thanks for dropping by to see me!

Joy@TPMG said...

I am very blessed to have a very cool MIL. They are not going until July so they have lots of time to plot and plan. My mom has already visited the travel agent and my MIL has checked out packages online. I don't think my mother has EVER "surfed the internet".

Post a Comment