Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting Kids to Eat Breakfast (Without the Need For Leprachan Luck)


1) Make time for breakfast 
Even if that means getting the kids up a few minutes earlier. Sitting as a family is a good way to start the day especially if everyone has different schedules with after-school activities and work.

2)Everything ready to go
Have the ingredients out for your kids when they wake up.  Whether it is cold cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, toast, a bagel, or yogurt, having the foods easily accessible may increase the chances of your child eating.  


3)Give choices

4)Have a back-up plan on hand
Have a stash of healthy running late foods in the car, the fridge, or in backpacks.  A bag filled with on-the-go breakfast choices is always handy. Granola bars, fruit bars, bagged nuts, trail mix with dried fruit, and string cheese are good on-the-go foods.  Make smoothies for your kids to drink if they prefer not to eat breakfast.  This way your kids can eat on the way to school or eat at the bus stop. 

5)Don't make it into a battle
You won't win. Sometimes molehills are mountains in the eyes of children.  Sometimes you may have to bend with what it is your child is hungry for rather than what you would like them to eat. Leftover pizza, go ahead, eat up.  Sprinkling a few chocolate chips in with their Cheerios is better than them not eating anything.  Being the breakfast police every morning is just going to make breakfast be a struggle for you and your child.  Want to increase the chances of them grabbing something moderately healthy?  Limit the junk in the pantry.  I know this is easier said than done. 

6) Make breakfast fun
Make faces on their toast or pancakes with fruit.  Create placemats out of activity sheets that you have laminated for them to do while you make breakfast.  Have them make edible pictures with their Cheerios.  Have a question or joke of the day for them to puzzle over.  Better yet, have them help make breakfast.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Breakfast is always a struggle with my 3 year old. I'm going to try your last tip in the morning!

Anonymous said...

How about a cookie? Is a cookie good?

I am kidding!

My oldest could eat breakfast all day long: oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancakes or rice krispies. For 10 years this has been her rotation!

Lourie said...

My middle daughter likes to have peanut butter on a slice of bread. I give it to her happily since it has carb and protein! And she loves milk. Double bonus.

Anonymous said...

What a sensible, joyful, realistic post! I want to tell everyone to read it. You are SO right...add the chocolate chips...Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

P.S. Girl Next Door Is Not Kidding!
She feeds her kids cookies and ice cream alllll day! How do I know? Just look at how slim she is. Does a woman who looks like that look like she ever enters the kitchen???

MrsBlogAlot said...

I love number 6. I might even try it on my husband.

Joy@TPMG said...

I love PB on toast. I ate that all the time for breakfast when I was pregnant. It was one of the few things I could eat.

I wish I could eat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for breakfast every day but I would break the scale.

GND-whats your secret???

Mrs. Blogalot-I bet he would love his toast cut into little hearts:)

Buckeroomama said...

Breakfast for us is easy... it's the getting through lunch and dinner that sometimes drags out. :)

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I like the picture of the cereal face you included! That is too cute and my kids would love that. Both my boys enjoy cooking with me, which is super sweet. But the mess? Wow.

Post a Comment