Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Knight on the Doorstep

Have you ever driven past a house a hundred times and then one day, a certain little detail stands out?  Maybe it is a lawn ornament, something they have on their porch, or an architectural detail of the house.

There is a house that I often pass, usually on my way to take the girls to their pediatrician, that I always take a peek at and admire.  It looks like a cross between a Cape Cod house on steroids and a Victorian.  Having a hard time picturing it?  It is a lovely house. 

Stationary deer graze on the side of the property and I recently noticed that they have what appears to be a basketball court on the other side of the property tucked up against the house.  How did I never notice that before?

It may be because my eyes are always drawn to their porch.  I am a sucker for large porches especially wraparound porches.  In this case, it is the suit of armor next to their doorway that always draws my eye. 

Yes, you read that right.  And we are not talking about a small suit of armor.  It stands erect next to the doorway and appears to be as tall as the doorway.  At least I think it is.  I make a point to never slow down as I drive past.  I don't want to appear to be a stalker or anything.

Have you ever heard Paul Harvey and his "The Rest of the Story"? I always have an urge as I drive by to stop the car, knock on their door, and ask about the knight guarding their doorway.  Would I ever have the guts to appease my curiosity?  No, but granted that doesn't stop me from asking neighbors and friends about that particular house.

I couldn't resist.  I went out into the internet and checked to see how much it would cost to get our very own suit of armor.  It appears that a 7 foot suit of armor sells for about $388 on ebay.  And now you know, you know, in case you to would like your very own knight in shining armor to guard your doorway.

8 comments:

Liz Mays said...

If I lived near you, I swear I would go with you to their house and ask about it. I really would!

Kari said...

Funny post... Can't imagine a suit of Armor standing at my door... I think If I did that I would expect people to be looking! HA ha! Anyway thanks for following my blog. I am now following you too.

http://setfreetosucceed.blogspot.com
Check out my amazing 7-Day Luxury Mexican Resort Giveaway! Ends soon!

Stephanie Faris said...

Good point...how often do we make our daily drive with blinders on? But a suit of armor...that's hilarious! There's a house near us that keeps its Christmas decorations up year-round. I get so busy looking at that house, no telling what I miss.

Lourie said...

I don't think I would want to leave it out like that! I would love to see the inside of that house. Haha.

Unknown said...

There has to be a great story to this. My hubby would love to have a suit of armor or a wooden carved Indian. He's a little odd...

Unknown said...

I would totally go with you to knock on their door. Maybe you could try to sell them something just to get a peek inside :) I love gawking at homes. My DH & I often walk to other neighborhoods just to admire their architecture and entryways.

Rieshy said...

This would have driven my mother mad... she would have made me sell girl scout cookies or something,so that we could have knocked on the door to get the story of the knight.

Joy@TPMG said...

Hmmm. That would be a good excuse to knock on their door. To bad my daughter isn't old enough to sell girl scout cookies!

Post a Comment