Friday, February 26, 2010

I Need a Kitchen Aide (and I am not referring to a mixer)

 Do you know how teachers have a teacher's aide?  Well, I could use a kitchen aide.  I have issues with cooking that a little extra help in the kitchen would probably solve. 

1) I have issues with timing.  I never seem to be able to get the meat and the side dishes timed perfectly so everything is ready at the same time.  Who wants to eat overcooked, mushy veggies or cold veggies at that.  I have started relying on salads as a side dish because of this.  Thank goodness my daughter likes salads.

2) I have the unfortunate problem of being unable to hear timers going off.  It is like my ears hear them but my brain refuses to register what their going off means.  When I am cooking it is imperative that I stay in the kitchen.  With a toddler and an infant, it never happens.

3) I have food fears.  I know this is irrational but I always worry that the food is not cooked well enough. It doesn't matter that I can follow recipes with the best of them.  I still worry about whether the meat is done enough. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people that can look at a piece of meat and say definitively that it is done.  I have never made steak for this very reason.  Of course, I have learned that a good meat thermometer (one that actually works properly and is digital to take the guesswork out of reading the numbers) can help in this area tremendously.

4) I worry that I haven't killed all the germs on my counters (even after using products that say "kills 99.99% of all bacteria" and/or soap and water). 

So as you can see, a kitchen aide would be helpful.  Someone to tell me when to put the side dishes on, listen for the timer, check the temperature of the meat,  and clean up.  I have the prepping of the food and the eating down.  It's just everything else that seems to be a pain. 

Keep in mind I am not losing sleep over this.  In fact, I can laugh about most of it but I could never be a professional chef.  I would love to hear about any issues you have in the kitchen?

It has been an off week here at The Practical Mom Guide due to the stomach bug that has infected our family.  This was a post that I had written awhile ago and I had it in "reserve".  Next week hopefully things will have returned to normal and I will be able to post more articles and mommy posts.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Daisygirl said...

Too funny! I could use one too! I gave up long ago trying to time everything to be ready at the same time, its just not ever going to happen for me.
~Jen~

Lourie said...

I have been known to leave the burner on even after I have taken the pan off it. I have been to over cook packaged noodles and then half the box sticks to the bottom of the pan. I know what you mean about the meat. The hardest one for me is pork.

I can't help you hear the timers better, unless you have a portable one that you can carry with you. But then, if you are like me you would just set it down some where and then when it went off you would be searching for ten minutes trying to find it. Only to have it be in the bathroom.

Claudya Martinez said...

I need a butler!

Thank you sooo much for visiting on my SITs day!

Post a Comment