Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Practical Mom Guide's List of Fourteen Romantic Movies

I love romantic movies and not just around Valentine's Day.  There is something reassuring about happily ever afters and the memories of those butterflies that accompany new love.  I do like dramas, shoot-em up's, and even sci-fi but I always navigate towards "chick flicks" as most men call them.

My husband hates chick flicks so I usually only rent them when he is away or going out for the evening.  I can usually guilt him into watching them if he's around but then as he says, he may watch it but he will not enjoy it quietly.  There are the eye rolls, grunting, and my favorite, the sarcastic "gee, that wasn't predictable" at the end.

I came up with a list of 14 of my all-time favorite romantic movies for Valentine's Day.

My List of the Top 14 Romantic Movies
1)Sabrina
2)When Harry Met Sally
3)Runaway Bride
4)You've Got Mail
5)The Notebook
6)The Wedding Planner 
7)Hitch
8)Timeline 
9)My Big Fat Greek Wedding
10)Something's Gotta Give
11)Bridget Jones Diary
12)Must Love Dogs
13)The Ugly Truth
14)America's Sweethearts

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Sex and the City, and Maid in Manhattan are some of my other favorites.  I love Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Roberts, and John Cusack.  I plan on renting Roman Holiday this weekend.  I have never seen it and since I love old movies this will be perfect for the holiday weekend.

Another movie I want to see is The Back-up Plan which comes out in theaters on April  23rd.  It stars Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin (the sexy guy from August Rush). According to the website, it "is a comedy that explores dating, love, marriage, and family 'in reverse'".  I think it looks like a hilarious romantic comedy.  I am not going to give anything away.

To check out the trailer and find out for yourself what this movie is about, click here.  If you like what you see, you can follow The Back-up Plan on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on news about the movie.

Psst...take your girlfriends to see this one for a girl's night out and let the boys stay at home with the wee ones!!

8 comments:

Lourie said...

Definitely leave the guys home with the kids and a GNO! I think I have seen about half of these movies, and I loved them all.

Melissa said...

My favorite movie (of all time) is Love Actually!... I LOVE it...

I also want to see Valentine's Day (which seems similar to Love Actually).

Have a great day!

- Melissa

Daisygirl said...

You have some good ones on that list! I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the Ugly Truth.

I am kinda cheesy and also love Because I said so, Ps I love you (I cry everytime).

Clairity said...

Gosh, did I really miss so many that are on your list? I really need to catch up LOL. I love Maid in Manhattan, Nottinghill, My Best Friend's Wedding, Home Sweet Alabama...

CynthiaK said...

Love Actually is one of my favourites, too. (as Melissa above)

Great list, though. There are a few on there I haven't seen and it's mostly because since having children, I have been absolutely terrible at keeping up with films!

(other than children's films, that is)

McVal said...

I do love Love Actually too. But there are a lot on this list that I love too. I haven't seen a few of them, so now I know what to rent this weekend!
Thanks!
Val

Anonymous said...

I have seen all of those!

My favorite all time movie is When Harry Met Sally!

Miss. Ardeth Blood said...

I have to be the extreme typical girl and say Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) is on my personal list.

Came over from SITS to say hope you have a good Weekend.

Post a Comment