Friday, February 5, 2010

Spreading the Love: One Person at a Time

Have you ever been inspired by a book you read?  Since I love to read, it is no suprise that I have been inspired to spread a little neighborly love-not only with my neighbors but with friends and family.

Recently I finished Angel Lane by Sheila Roberts.  In the book, three ladies decide to do random acts of kindness in their community and they urge other members of the community to get involved.  They learned a lot about themselves in the process.  One of the woman used a jar of goodies that she gave away as one of her acts of kindness.

Since it's almost Valentine's Day, I filled two jars with chocolate and plan on giving them to people with a little note about passing the jar on to others and ideas for how to fill it. They can be filled with candy, cookies, homemade soup, cookie ingredients, makings for a craft, or any other creative ideas the giver can come up with. I chose chocolate because we are supposed to be getting a snow storm tonight and I know being snowed in with chocolate is always a good thing.

It is always nice to get an unexpected pick-me-up.    You never know what is going on in the lives of people you meet so this may be just the thing to turn their day around. You can deliver them anonymously or hand deliver them.  You can choose neighbors, strangers, acquaintances, co-workers, fellow church members, or even friends.


Anyone else interested in spreading some cheer?  What are some random acts of kindness that you have done or plan to do?

This post is linked up at The Girl Next Door's "Feel Good Friday".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great!! And perfect for FGF!!! It is a great idea.

I am so happy you participated.

My husband did a love note jar for our wedding anniversay. Each week, I open it up and read one of the things he loves about me. It is the greatest gift ever.

Eternal Lizdom said...

You know... that is a GREAT idea!! I've been wanting to find something special to do for my neighbor- her husband died this past summer and I keep meaning to bake some muffins or something to take over. Just to connect. This jar idea is even better...

Daisygirl said...

I keep reading of all these bloggers who are expecting snow...here I am in Arizona where the temps are pretty mild right now but I could wear shorts and probably not be cold.

This is a cute idea!

Theta Mom said...

Awesome idea!!!!!

Lourie said...

This is an awesome idea. And hey the book sounds good too. I will have to give some thought to this. I know my daughters would love to do it.

blogmom221 said...

Thanks everyone. I thought it was a great idea to-to bad it wasn't mine:) I like the feeling you get when you do something nice for someone else. Good karma is never a bad thing either. If you like romances, the book is definitely a book to read.

The snow just started (five hours after they said it would start). Go figure. I love the idea of a love note jar. That is really sweet.

Joy@TPMG said...

By the way, that was me commenting above. I didn't realize I was signed in on my other account. Two accounts is one more than I can handle. I usually make sure I am signed in with my J.L.W. account.

Liz Mays said...

That is such a wonderful idea and especially that it encourages paying it forward!!! I want to do it too!

Unknown said...

I'm an avid reader too. :)

Following from MBC FFF.

http://www.thepumpkinpiepatch.blogspot.com

Post a Comment